View Single Post
Old 06-29-2018, 07:52 PM   #1
Johns30

Question Front spring replacement advice

My Model A is in great shape overall, but it rides very rough. By that I mean every bump in the road makes a bang sound and I can almost feel it in the steering wheel. Granted, this is my first Model A so I don't have a point of reference for what it "should" feel like. I realize it won't ride like a new Lexus, but I'm guessing it needs some work.

The red Les Andrews books says the center of the front bumper to the ground should be 18.5". Mine is only 16.5". The book also says that there should be minimum 1/4" clearance between the bottom of the front spring eye and the top of the axle. Mine appears to be sitting on the front axle.
So, am I correct that the front spring has lost its arch and is shot?
Any thoughts by looking at the picture I'm attempting to attach?

Anyone have any general tips/advice on replacing the front spring beyond what is in the red Les Andrews book? I know they can be taken apart and re-worked, but I don't want to mess with that and I'm thinking of just getting a new one (looking at the higher end one at Synders for a bit over $200).

Also, what is the general consensus on these types of aftermarket shock setups that are on my car? Good/bad? They were on the car when I bought it 2 years ago...

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spring.jpg (59.8 KB, 425 views)
Johns30 is offline   Reply With Quote