View Single Post
Old 03-31-2021, 02:13 PM   #19
Alaska Jim

Default Re: Overdrive parts availabiliy

I recently replaced my solenoid on my '51 Merc.. to remove it, I removed the 2 bolts holding it to the case. then rotate it to the right ( if you are facing the solenoid ) to about the 1 o'clock position and pull it straight out. to reinstall is just the reverse. insert the solenoid shaft into the trans with the solenoid mount boss at the 1 o'clock position and rotate left until it is about the 12 o'clock position and the bolt holes line up. at this point, before installing the bolts, pull out VERY lightly on the solenoid slightly, it should have light spring tension on it if installed correctly. you can feel this tension when you are removing the solenoid after the 2 retaining bolts are removed, and before rotating it to the 1'oclock position. like rotorwrench said, unless the pawl is somehow moved out of position, it is not necessay to power up the solenoid. I have read that sometimes this happens when installing the solenoid if care is not taken to pay attention to the "flats" on the shaft when you remove the solenoid so that it can be reinstalled the same way. hope rhis makes sense and is of some help
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote