View Single Post
Old 11-11-2015, 04:49 PM   #1
Bassman/NZ

Default A very perplexing problem.

My C59A engine feels like it's running on 7 and 1/2 cylinders.
It's stock except heads milled for 45thou clearance over pistons, has had new rings, bearings, valve grind and valve guides, valves set to 10thou in and 14thou ex. New Best copper gaskets, dissy rebuilt by Bubbas (including condenser) and points set at 15thou. New plug leads and plugs set at 28thou, Ford 94 with mating surfaces flat, 50thou jets, all orifices blown out, leather plunger, power valve checked and seating, float set right. Bosch 12v coil with external resistor.
Runs best with the advance plate (it's a crab) set two notches down from top, but still not as smooth as a V8 should be. I'm running 91 octane gas (no ethanol).
Plugs have good tannish colour across all 8, compression test (dry) with WOT gives variation of 5 lbs across all 8 cylinders (150-155 lbs).
I guess I'm brain-storming here, trying to see if I've missed anything. One thing I have noticed is it starts to get a bit ragged when approaching the upper rev limit.
Things I've tried.... different plugs and different heat ranges, every setting on the dissy advance plate, from full advance to full retard, air cleaner on and off, different jets and power valve.
I'm getting quite frustrated.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote