View Single Post
Old 12-18-2021, 08:46 AM   #16
AnthonyG

Default Re: Solenoid disengages gear prematurely

Bored&Stroked, I had engine out for ring / piston issues last year. I had the starter out checked & reinstalled when reassembling the engine. It was fine @ the time & has fewer than 2500-3000 miles since originally got it. While I enjoy working on cars for the most the stock starter in the 8BA & assume all ford V8 flatheads is so heavy & getting it back on the engine so awkward even on an engine stand! Between the weight & with the thru bolts letting it fall apart easily w/o extreme care or trick on install does make removing to find it’s fine as it was 6 months & very few miles ago not a pleasant thought, Lol! Since my last reply I got the shaft springs that close the carb butterflies better & seems to start better w/o or minimal disengagement. So I’m thinking maybe as Rotowrench sad in post 12 it probably had to do with carb butterflies not sealing causing in effect a vacuum issue.

The thought had occurred during the issues to pull old style starter & replace with the modern lighter design! I still might buy one of the lighter smaller modern replacement starters. If more problems with old style starter. Can someone verify as I’m not real sure but heard the modern design is 1/3 the weight & don’t have the old assembly bolts that let the old starters fall apart on assy! Been designed out with starter being a fixed assy with standard mounts similar to modern ones?