View Single Post
Old 10-26-2018, 04:54 AM   #306
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
My very favourite response to Farmer offering advise.

When I am discussing details of paddock to spray.. Farmer informs you that pilot “Jack” sprays this way or pilot Jack does things that way. Farmer has confronted you with a challenge. I’ll make the point by an example.
I was to spray cereal for Allan Hawkins at Tocumwal. The paddock had a kidney shaped lagoon on the north and Allan asked if I could start at the lagoon , working south maintaining the curve I’d track on the first run. Continue to fly the curve.
Well I’m not that good, but I can maintain a straight line between the markers, starting with two short runs, and expanding I explain.
Well that didn’t seem to please Allan and he informed me the last bloke I’d sent there could maintain a curve, and in this very same paddock. “who was he I enquired.” Came from Victoria somewhere in Gippsland. Maybe, I said, Bob Landsbury. “Yes, yes, that’s the bloke” Allan responded.
Now here comes my punch line. And I love to quote it.
“but Bob’s a much better pilot than me”.
It just kills the farmers point of view, he is snookered, you have taken his king or what ever. Farmer then concedes, to himself , he is beaten and almost always ends up with a laugh or at least a chuckle.
I always look for a chance to drop that line. Do you like it? I do.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is online now   Reply With Quote