View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
rotorwrench

Default Re: internal engine enamel

Gyptal products are an offshoot of General Electric. They make all sorts of heavy duty primers and corrosion preventative products that are getting harder to find and expensive. They also make several excellent insullating varnishes for your copper wire windings and such.

I see no problem with putting a coating inside an engine that will be prepped to stay there. I personally don't think it will effect the temperature of the engine all that much. Most engines are not equipped with an oil cooler and the oil will warm up to the temperature of the engine eventually anyway. The engine cooling system is designed to do what it does with no aid from the oil system. It is extra work that will only be seen by the engine assembler so it has no real benifit over the long term except for corrosion resistance. Oil always seem to find its way back to the pan even with the roughest of surfaces to flow on. Hell, sometimes it doesn't even want to stay in the pan and ends up in a little puddle on the garage floor.

I rebuild aircraft engines all the time and although I see no real problem with using it, I just don't see an advantage to it at all. The engine cooling system on an aircraft engine is two fold. Baffles to direct a flow of air through and around the cylinders and an oil cooler or series of coolers as well. Oil is specially directed at the hot spots so as to take the heat away. Many engines also have a dry sump with an external oil tank to boot. Down hear in the Texas heat the helicopter engines can use all the help they can get.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote