View Single Post
Old 06-03-2020, 06:21 AM   #31
john charlton

Default Re: Can't separate axle shaft from carrier

The Les book is correct . This is the way I do it . I put the diff carrier in the complete axle setup with no axles or spider fitted the ring gear is fitted tightly to the carrier . The torque tube is not fitted You assemble the axle housings to the centre member using all the bolts . As you tighten the bolts reach through the torque tube hole and keep a check on how easy it is to rotate the ring gear . If it gets tight before all bolts are tightened then take it apart and put a paper shim each side and do it again . When all centre member bolts are tight see how easy it is to rotate the ring gear with you fingers . If it spins easily and maybe you can move it slightly latterally then take a shim out each side .This is a time consuming process . If it is set correctly when you rotate the ring gear there should be a slight drag should be 16" pounds on the ring gear but it is abit of a fiddle to set this up I just do it by feel .If they are new bearings I set a bit more drag than used bearings . The banjo bolts MUST be tight when you do this . Now the carrier preload is set do not remove or fit more shims or you will upset the preload . Next comes the fun bit you have to set the pinion backlash . Take everything apart and fit the axles and spider gears and fit the torque tube with the drive shaft and pinion . Do not get the shims muddled up remember no addtions or subtractions . Les will tell you what to do next it is a procedure of moving shims from side to side which effectively increases lash or reduces it . The total count of shims MUST remain the same . Why the axles are removed on the first step is that you cannot judge the preload with the drag from the axle seals .I most likely have left something out but I am sure someone will point this out as there are many out there who have built many more axles than I have !!!

John in same place same weather Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote