View Single Post
Old 04-02-2020, 08:08 PM   #25
koates

Default Re: Discontinuing search for .33 micro-farad capacitors.

A Fluke multimeter will give an accurate mfd reading on an automotive type condenser. But to test an automotive ignition condenser correctly then purpose made testers were available in the past but a bit hard to find today. The tests required are the micro farad rating, leakage or leak down with 400 to 600 volts applied and then series resistance. The multimeter tests described in other posts in the past are only very basic tests. Condensers should be warmed up to an equivalent temperature when mounted on the engine and tested . Mr tubman you should have a tester like this if you are really going to test and sell condensers. I have original 1934 Fords and have had trouble with original Ford condensers as well as the reproduction ones to the point you never know when they are going to pack up. I have original Ford coils on my cars. I now use a modern .28 mfd condenser which works very well and I have fitted a few of these to other makes of cars and even a British motorcycle which has coil and distributer ignition. I have not driven my 34 for a lot of miles for a good test, but it starts well and runs perfectly as a good old V8 should. The distributer contacts still look very good. I have been an auto electrician for nearly 60 years so have some experience in this equipment. A .28 mfd condenser would seem to be a good range option for many applications rather than the low .22 to .24 ones that seem to be the normal rating on new condensers today. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote