View Single Post
Old 11-10-2018, 08:34 PM   #18
Karl

Default Re: Hydrostatic fuel gauge innaccurate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
I redid my hydrostatic fuel gauge last year. ........ It tops out at about 3/4 to 5/8. I have learned to just live with it that way. Others I have communicated with on the barn have the same situation. I am satisfied with it.
I've heard the same thing from many of my vintage friends - "it's an old car " "Just accept it " I have one of my friends who enjoys rattles and squeaks in his car as it shows him it is vintage

I think we tend to assume that as our vehicles are old they have inherent faults which we should just accept . In actual fact I would wager heavily that when Ma and Pa Kettle forked out their hard earned depression cash to buy a new Ford V8 in 1934 they would have expected an accurate fuel gauge . I am also sure that if they found that it never read over 3/4 full they would have returned it to the dealer for repair or replacement (as we would with a new car today). The fact that Ford sent dealers regular information about how to correct faults such squeaks etc confirms that 1930's buyers were just as picky as us today when it came to their new cars

My approach is if it worked correctly when new there is no reason why it can't be made to work correctly now. How hard you try and how much you spend before you give up is determined by your obsessiveness

Karl