View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 11:34 PM   #10
Karl

Default Re: Hydrostatic fuel gauge innaccurate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
I believe the calibrating rods act similar to a brick in the toilet water closet. They calibrate the amount of liquid in the tube. If so and you add calibrating rods ,that are not necessary, it is possible for the gauge to run out of stored fluid below the full mark and burp some of the air pushing the red liquid up the glass column. If this happens the gauge would loose calibration and never read "Full" . I would remove any extra calibrating rods in the hex tank (go with one or none as you found it). check calibration on an empty gas tank and add gauge liquid to the 0 line, then fill the tank and see if you have proper reading.
What a great resource Fordbarn is! After 3 years of trying to get my hydrostatic gauge to work correctly I found this post.

To date I have
1. Cleaned and repaired the gauge head
2. Cleaned and repaired the sender unit
3. Replaced the Airline
4. Replaced the fluid with Macs Fluid
5. Replaced the fading Macs Fluid with Classic and Exotic Fluid
6. Replaced the Fading Classic and Exotic Fluid with Original 1934 Factory
NOS fluid
7. Replaced the (Bob Drake) Fuel tank with a Bob Drake tank with the fuel
sender mounting plate from an original tank welded into it to eliminate
the adaptor plate you need to use with the Drake tank for the original
sender
8. Tried about 500 different sizes of brass rod to try and calibrate the gauge

However despite my obvious OCD efforts I could never get the gauge to read over 3/4 full even when the tank was full to the brim.

Read the post above today and removed the calibration rod and the gauge reads perfectly full when full. I need to use the search button more !

Karl