View Single Post
Old 07-17-2016, 09:04 AM   #4
coupe1942

Default Re: Horn Felt Questions for Sparton horn:

I found a good quantity of felt sizes at Hobby Lobby, but I found the largest width to be in a pack of felt washers that were used for furniture skid prevention. I found a pack of them at a local hardware store. We were shopping in Norman, Ok. yesterday, so I had the opportunity to pick up a set of hollow hole punches there (may be what JW called a gasket punch). Any rate, I took the adjustment screw out and was able to size it with o couple of the punches to make a washer that fits pretty well. Since I don't have an original, I can only guess as to how close I came with it, but it looks good to me and fit well. That top washer was interesting and I decided to make mine a bit taller than what the photo showed.

One thing that I found as interesting is that there is no felt washer or rubber washer shown in the photo to cover the opening where the two wires enter the horn cover. I don't know if there was supposed to be one there or not, but it would seem something should be to keep out dust and debris, so I'll probably make up one and install it to be safe.

The hollow hole punch set on-line at HF shows maybe 4-5 in one set and 9 in the other. I went with the 9 piece set as it gave more options for hole sizes. Cost me about $8-9 bucks for the set, but worth it for this project.

Hopefully, all I have to do now is to add a few drops of oil to the felt at the adjustment bar area and then check/test our this horn and reinstall it on my truck. I am replacing all the wiring this next week, as it is frayed or burnt. I'll likely have questions regarding all of that, as I am not all that up on swapping out wiring and all and no telling what the original owner had done with it. I have that voltage reducer to install to the horn, yet.

Some of the attached photos are not focused, but my camera batteries were weak. Hopefully they show enough to see what I am speaking of though.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this all works and the horn is in good shape to work, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0321.jpg (105.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0322.jpg (117.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0323.jpg (132.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0324.jpg (140.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0326.jpg (39.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0327.JPG (104.7 KB, 49 views)
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote