View Single Post
Old 10-02-2020, 01:35 AM   #26
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: T5 Valley Machining Kit

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Don View Post
I sourced a t5 at the carlisle swap meet (well atleast my dad did) and it is an s10 from a 2.5L v6? that is world class and has the 3.76 gearing.

But I have a few questions.
1)Is there any benefit to running a v8 banjo rear over the model A? I'm assuming they're stronger but just how much? Are they even stronger than a Model A rear if you add the third link?
2) With a seriously hopped up banger and t5 overdrive, will that overpower the stock A rear?

I plan on running hydraulic brakes, so I wouldn't have to modify the backing plates on the 35 rear like you would with a model A rear. Maybe I'm just weighing my options out loud, but I'd like to hear some opinions from guys who have done this conversion one way or another. All input is welcome!

Thanks again for all your guys time and help for a novice like me.
Gordy
Hey Gordy....The '35 thru '48 banjo center sections are somewhat more substantial than the "A" rears in that the pinion shafts are far better supported by a front AND a rear bearing. The pinions themselves are stronger too, as the gear portion is integral with the one-piece pinion assembly, rather than that "Morse-like" tapered method of mounting the gear on the pinion shaft on the stock "A" rears.

You SHOULD seriously reconsider employing an additional upper link to control the accelerating and braking torque loads of the rear axle housing. I'd employ a substantial rod which terminates SOLIDLY with the lower radius rods like that seen in the 28th and 30th full-size pictures in Ryan Manson's Model A in the link below. Hope this helps you. DD

https://clampdowncomp.com/tech/insta...-model-a-ford/

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote