View Single Post
Old 07-04-2017, 08:32 PM   #1
California Charlie

Default Older Tubular Shock Kit Question-Did you use this Kit?

Happy 4th everyone!

Here's my recent restoration project question. Perhaps you experienced the same problem I'm having with an older Tubular Shock Absorber Kit.

I bought this shock kit several years ago and decided to use it on my current Model A Project. At the time I purchased the kit, it was even recommended on the old Ford Barn. Unfortunately the company sold, and I don't even know if the company exists. The installation instructions gives no reference of the Company.

The old newspaper the kit came packed in is from Indiana and the date is 2004. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Here's what I'm up against with the front shock kit. I'm working on the right "Passenger Side". The upper bracket is marked "RS". The installation instructions state to install the front upper bracket using the old shock mounting holes in the frame. No problem there. The new bracket mounts even with the upper part of the frame and is directed upward where the upper part of the shock mounts.

Here's where perhaps someone has dealt with this kit in the past. The lower shock bracket mounts to the front axle 12" away from the Pin which keeps the King Pin in place. The instructions definitely show the lower bracket with the part which the shock mounts to it down and positioned under the axle. The problem is the tubular shock will not reach that far to attach to the upper and lower bracket. I can position the lower bracket above the axle and the shock would then connect, but that is not what the instructions show.

Perhaps someone used this kit several years ago and found the same issue I'm dealing with. I know a few of these kits had been sold in the past by recommendations posted on the old Ford Barn. Whatever information you provide to me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

California Charlie

California Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote