Thread: No Thermostats
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2021, 09:14 AM   #19
AnthonyG

Default Re: No Thermostats

IMHO, As many who run with, run without. While I totally agree Stats are needed in the cold weather! Also totally agree as A few have said Henry was frugal & when Henry built them & were fresh off the assy. line. All the water veins in the engine were rust free & wide open. When they were new they needed to restrict the water to get to a good running temp as the coolant flowed so well! I believe the reason for so much arguing & lamenting about it now stems from most oldster engines still around even after rigorous methods to clean water veins have some to a lot of rusty veins slowing the coolant flow. Ergo much arguing & lamenting. I have a ‘49 8BA, been rebuilt by a reputable builder w a good reputation. Rebuilds hundreds of all type older & newer engines. Has a special shop in his factory to rebuild nothing but Ford Flatheads for 40 plus years & uses the latest methods to clean the cooling Sys. He’s indicated more than not call w cooling issues. His advice always the same, try lower temp Stats if still an issue run Stats only in cold weather. I only run my ‘35 from Mid April to end of Oct. I don’t use Stats anymore as they always caused a cooling issue & my cooling issues went away. Runs between 180 & 200 always. JMHO.