View Single Post
Old 07-25-2020, 06:20 PM   #51
Ronnieroadster

Default Re: Let's build a drag race 8BA engine

Hi Tim OK heres one of my simple secret improvements to add strength to our beloved flathead blocks.
Let me explain what I have learned running our flatheads full out not only for records at Bonneville but also for our many dyno pulls. Theres absolutely no need for the massive girdles I have seen many use however if thats what you want to use go for it but it is waste of money,time and weight.

On all of my record setting flathead blocks to add support to the center main bearing cap I simply place a flat steel support the width of the cap and one inch in height on top of the steel center bearing cap this support is bolted to the cap with 5/16 hardware which is only used to locate this support.

The steel support is long so it touches the inside surface of the oil pan. Now heres where the support is made to the center of the block. On the outside of the oil pan theres a steel plate that touches the outside of the pan wall and also has a flat surface sitting on top of the oil pan covering three oil pan bolt holes. This L shaped plate is held in place by the three oil pan bolts on each side of the oil pan.

Now for the additional strength I add a 7/16 cross bolt that now goes threw the steel outer plate and the oil pan side wall and finally threads into the side of the inner steel center main bearing cap support. This assembly adds a huge amount of central support to the block. Think how much effort it will take to move such a structure.

I can tell you we have tested out our design not something I wanted to do but going for records has had its ups and downs. Here goes on the backup run for the record at the 2 1/2 mile marker we experienced a huge internal failure due to oiling issues the two rear connecting rods which were steel Cunningham rods broke after the bearings seized on the rod journal.

The now broken rods number 4 and 8 began chain sawing the inside of the block the steel cam was broken into many pieces between the center and rear cam bearings. With the cam broken the lifters now joined the cam parts hitting the spinning crankshaft slamming into everything possible.
With that much internal carnage the center main bearing area of the block remained completely intact. The crankshaft survived with a slight run-out in the center when I checked it between centers. I will add on more detail all of the internals in this and all my engines are USA products no off shore stuff EVER.

Oh I forgot to add even with this complete disaster on the return run the car coasted across the line over 170 MPH we bumped the record by 20 MPH at that point we now had two records. Now years latter we have set four more records with our flathead engines each one using this simple center main support design.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote