View Single Post
Old 03-30-2019, 04:16 PM   #511
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

You can't send Mountain Folk to Town.

Years ago my wife Patsy and I went to Switzerland to ski. On route we met a Swiss couple who were most helpful in directing us where to go. The place name was Les Daibles and if I have spelt it correctly means "the little devils”.
We stayed in a Swiss hotel, a quaint little wooden 2 story building and we ate and drank with the locals. We were made most welcome and did enjoy ourselves. Only 1 guest could speak English and his name was Maurice pronounced as the French would.One thing Maurice taught us was when one offered “cheers” before a drink was to look at each other in the eyes, not look at the glasses as they bang together. I think that’s the way to do it and I do it every time I start a new round.
During our stay there was a motor car show on in Geneva and a local band was invited to play and entertain the public at that venue. Well according to Maurice they all got drunk. They were drunk for almost the whole show. Didn’t do a great deal of entertaining. Now here is the punch line from Maurice's account. “you just can’t send mountain folk to town”.
It was especially funny to Patsy and I for the very same applies in Australia. We have no mountains of which to speak but very vast areas of bush country is where towns can be hundreds of miles apart. Just isolated cattle or sheep stations between. And we know "you just can’t send bush folk to town”. 45 years on I still have a chuckle when I think of Maurice and what he said.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote