Thread: Evan's Coolant
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2020, 09:01 AM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Evan's Coolant

A few years back I looked at Evans, decided not to use it mainly for 2 reasons.

The 375 degree boiling point. If you get much over the normal water boiling point of 212 degrees you are running too hot and run the danger of oil flash over on the cylinder walls. The 212 boiling is like an early warning to stop and cool down, and then fix your cooling system. If you run Evans make sure you run an upper hose temperature gauge to monitor you coolant/motor temp.

The other reason is that it is not as efficient as water or antifreeze, at conducting heat from the block/head and dissipating heat in the radiator.

I did call them and after a discussion got them to admit that Evans was best used in a pressurized cooling system, and grudging admit the above factors.

The cost also turned me off.

Before using I would have also investigated if Evans was safe for the materials used in the Model A cooling system - safe for; hoses, the radiator materials including solder, Water pump materials. If not using a leakless water pump make sure it would not flush the grease and lead packing out of the water pump. And lastly what hot Evans would do to Paint in case of a leak.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote