Thread: New Block
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #16
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Re: New Block

The French blocks are really pretty nice pieces - I have had one in my 40 coupe for 10+ years and I have another ready "in the wings" for a build and/or a replacement for the engine in my 40. They are heavier, have more nickel, and can be bored out big time. The downside is that it is a combo unit - top and front is 8BA, bottom and back is 59AB (meaning it has the integral bellhousing). So, you use the 59 pan but weld up the breather on it and cut a relief in the block int he passageway so the oil in that area flows back into the pan. Ol Ron and I discussed this when I had oil streaming out the bottom of my engine when it was first in the 40 and I was at NSRA York years ago. Ron, you were vending out in the big field next to the main pavillion - I think Harry Goebel might have been there as well ...

Anyway, if the old dies/machining is ever found for these blocks, we would all be golden. As far as teh old governor blockoff, it's pretty easy and these blocks are ready made for a full oiling system.

You can Google French Block and all sorts of info will come out - it is a beautiful peice, I can tell you that.

Blocks and main caps come up for sale once in awhile - I've seen them for as low as $1300 and as high as $2500. I would not buy the complete, running engine myself but just build the block and main caps unit in the American style. It accepts all of the speed equipment.

What is a shame about these blocks is that the SCTA (as stated by Butch11443 - you are absolutely right that they take a beating) will not recognize them and the dies/machining to make the French blocks have yet to be found. If ever found, we'll all be ready for a new block and trying to find a good used block will be a thing of the past, no sand casting to cause overheating. Build it stock bore w/4" crank it's a 255 cubic inch engine.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote