Thread: New Block
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
Ol' Ron

Default New Block

New Flathead

I was just reading an article in Street Rodder about the new 40 Ford Coupe by Dennis Carpenter. Pretty neat, it brings to mind the casting of new blocks for the Flathead engine. We have almost everything available except new blocks. I'm surprised the French blocks don't sell better, not sure what a bare French block goes for but I think a reworked one from ???? is around 2500 bucks.
Over the years there have been several attempt to produce one, Mark Kurby/ Shadow rods have successfully produced a version, but it's extensively modified fron the original.
Sometimes when we engine guys get together we consider what modifications we'd make to the present block if we had the means to reproduce it. First rule anything that fits the stock block must fit the replacement. Now this is what I'd like to see changed in a minor way.
Increase the deck thickness.
Increase the main bearing support, through bolt the center main.(Ala JWL)
Make improvements in port flow.
and last but not least.
Cylinder bores cored for 3 5/16 pistons.

This would produce an block that could replace the original engine with all stock components except for the piston and intake valve. The displacement of this engine would run from 258 with a Ford 3 3/4 crank to to 276 with the Merc crank. an Over bore to 3 7/16 would give 2?? with the Ford crank and 296 with the Merc crank. All this could be accomplished just with aftermarket pistons. For some using a stroker crank ??? would be in reach.

The block would be cast from a better alloy of iron than the original to improve ring ware.
Water jacketing would be increased in some areas to improve cooling.

Now the only thing missing is someone with enough cash to do it.
Unfortunately very few could afford to buy it.
Dennis ,I wish you well.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote