Thread: Tune ups
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2021, 01:19 PM   #4
Bill G

Default Re: Tune ups

It's interesting how we tend to measure point gap right down to the nat's eyebrow, so to speak. Recently I was on a drive and my car just quit with no other symptoms of loss of power, except for just the last minute or two before dying where it sputtered a bit.

The problem wound up being the points. Stock style with the adjustable point contact within the point block. Stock-style but aftermarket.

I had last timed the car about 9 months before and had driven quite a bit. I had the clamping screw tight so the point contact would not move (So I thought). Over that 9 month period and probably 400-500 miles later, the point contact had backed its way out of the point block to the extent that the gap widened and widened until there was no contact, thus no spark. Easy roadside fix.

My point being that even though we set the points to be "dead-on" which will provide optimum operation and also allow for future wear, the Model A engine is very, very forgiving. Those engines just want to run on a wide variation of point gap.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote