View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 10:49 PM   #23
pineapple

Default Re: some advice for adjusting valves

I'm wrapping my 8ba build with an L100 cam, while I had the block bare, pre-hot tanking, I ground around 1/8" off the top of the lifter bores as well as drilled them as low as I could at 5/32 dia. as per Ol Rons book, did all the exhaust and intake port work needed, then took it to the machine shop for cleaning. I did end up putting the crank in without the rods etc. to turn the cam to adjust for valve clearance(as I did'nt feel like building a fixture to turn the cam). I had a set of original johnsons refaced by Dave in Florida for this cam, while setting up the valves, I now realize that Pete and Walt are correct,I had to remove screws from 2 different sets of other beat up johnsons I had in other engines to get them where I felt they would hold adjustment for a while..a couple of them, I even dinged up the threads to try snugging them up. I have not fired this engine up yet, but I have little faith that clearance will remain consistent..The next engine I will grind stems to length for clearance and use original ford lifters. Another thing I noticed is that once clearance is set on both valves on any given cylinder while closed the clearance will change on one of those valves when the adjcent valve opens,I'm guessing that the cam is deflecting due to removal of material during regrind? Anyhow, these are my observations..I may be off a bit due to inexperience, but this may increase discussion enough to help more first timers...I cant say enough about the information in JWL and OL Rons books as well...

Matt
pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote