View Single Post
Old 09-01-2020, 01:44 PM   #2
Senior Member
DavidG's Avatar
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,130
Default Re: '32 BB rear engine mounts

If you mean where the back of the transmission is attached to the center cross member, there was only one originally and no other rear engine mounts. It is flat incorporating a ring of rubber that the back of transmission inserts into and serves to minimize vibrations, etc. from being transmitted to the chassis.

Or perhaps you are referring to the engine steady rods, which also attach to the center cross member. The front end of those two rods insert into brackets that bolt to the sides of the flywheel housing if it is a four and into the cost-in holes on the side of the V8 bell housing. Their basic part number is 6028 and have either a B prefix or 18 prefix depending on the engine type. They are the same as was used on '32 passenger cars and commercial vehicles and are not insulated on either end.. Neither version was ever reproduced to my knowledge, but the four-cylinder versions (the longer of the two types) show up often on ebay. The shorter V8 versions are harder to come by.

Looking at a Ford archives slightly elevated photo of the right side of a cab-less '32 four cylinder BB chassis (as nearly all of them were fours due to the late release of the V8 engine for the truck chassis), I don't see either the engine steady rod or its bracket on the side of the flywheel housing, which raises the possibility that the big trucks weren't equipped with them. While that does not make complete sense since one purpose of the rods is to prevent clutch chatter, it's possible and given that I've never owned a big truck I could be wrong about them being so equipped. If so, my apologies for the confusion.

Last edited by DavidG; 09-01-2020 at 03:52 PM.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)