View Single Post
Old 04-08-2020, 12:07 PM   #19
blucar

Default Re: Need advice on my ‘37 rims & tires

The wheels on my '36 Ford 5 win are original '36 Ford wheels, they have been on the car since 1961-62. We took them off of my brothers unmolested '36, he wanted 15" wheels and '47-48 dog dish hub caps, which is what I had on my '36, we traded. I upgraded my drums to '38-39, used my brothers '36 caps.
My '36 has had bias ply tires on it since '61-62. Drove the '36 for about 30k, then in '85 I put new bias ply 3.5' white walls on it. Since 1985 I have not driven the car 5,k., it mainly sits in the garage on axle stands.
I am in the process of freshening the '36 up, going through all of the mechanicals, ergo the new tires. I gave my set of 600x16 bias ply tires to me brother for him to use on his '37 4dr sdn, a very nice car that most people think is stock, however, it is not. it is a 40+ year old restoration.
Ok, now to my comment about tubes in the radial tires. When I had my business we had several trucks, from 1/2 ton to 18 wheeler's. In the mid '70's I switched all of my vehicles to radial tires which cut our tire problems to near zero and doubled the tire life. Several of the 1/2-3/4 ton vehicles had tubeless tires because Ford started using tubeless tires on the F100 in '58, however the F250-350 trucks all had tube type tires, some of which were split rims.
we had trouble with the tubes in radial tires because at the time the tubes were not made for radial tires, the tubes failed which caused a tire failure. Solution, new tubeless type wheels, problem solved.
If the wheels on my '36 were welded in lieu of riveted, I would use tubeless tires w/out tubes.
I have had the wheels for my '36 powder coated satin black. The paint on the wheels was very good, especially on the inside which had never been exposed to the weather or road salts. I know that there are some people which feel that powder coating wheels is not a good idea, their thinking being that the tire will slip on the rim, which is non-sense.
I have P215/65R15 tubeless radials on my '39 Plym conv cpe. The wheels are 15x7, had to have them special built because I wanted 7" rims, with 4.25" back set, with centers that would accept the stock 10" dog dish Plym hubcaps.