View Single Post
Old 03-10-2020, 03:23 PM   #10
steve hackel

Default Re: Cleaning Parts with a Rock Tumbler

Regarding vibratory tumblers and their media: keep in mind that silica sand is only effective when striking a surface at speed or under pressure and not in general contact. Once struck, most of it breaks down and the dust/residue goes into the air. Conversely, aluminum oxide or silicon carbide is many times stronger and denser, plus being sharper. Aluminum oxide being fused into a tumbling shape of ceramic composition is far superior to loose aluminum oxide aggregate. When used in a slurry with a simple green type cleaner, it works fantastic, as long as you can circulate the liquid with a cheap H.F. fountain pump into a remote 5 gal bucket.
Once your liquid is circulating,and the pump is several inches off the bottom of the 5gal bucket, the heavy particles in suspension will settle to the bottom and only the dirty liquid will be returned to the tumbler bowl. Ceramic stones infused with aluminum oxide can be purchased through Mc Master Carr in 25 & 50lb boxes , all UPS friendly. Once all of your parts are cleaned and dry, you can polish all of them with the same equipment, but using crushed corn Cobb or walnut shells - some of these are also available with infused abrasives to help polishing.
I currently have 6 of these units ranging is sizes from 1gal. 3 at 12 gal, 1 at 15gal, and my biggest at 30+ gal and I use them weekly.
If you need any additional help. Send me a private message and I'll do my best. Steve
steve hackel is offline   Reply With Quote