View Single Post
Old 11-26-2022, 03:06 PM   #26
Ed in Maine

Default Re: New Rebuilt Engine - Pistons not moving

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I agree with the other comments, most unlikely that the engine pistons are not moving but the crank can be turned. However, a newly rebuiilt engine, that wasn't lubricated and turned by hand by hand every month spells trouble. I experienced a seized rebuiilt engine that was stored for two years. This engine was stuck big time! My rebuilder chastised me for letting it sit for so long. This is what I did to get things moving again:
1. Put Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder.
2. Used a 12 volt battery out of my Toyota.
3. Hooked the car up to a John Deere tractor using low gear.
4. With the car in neutral, got the car slowly rolling.
5. Shifted into first gear and very, very carefully started to let out the clutch. I could hear the clutch start to engage.
6. Then with the clutch partially engaged, I hit the starter button. The hood was off so I could see the fan. When the starter bumped the engine, it started to turn and I let the clutch all the way out. We towed the car for about a mile. You never heard so much yelling and laughter, I was so happy.

I thought that was going to be the end of the tight engine but it wasn't. I had to go throuh this procedure for several days when all of a sudden the car turned over with the starter normally. After this I got the car ready to run on gasoline. Initially I ran the car for very short periods 5-8 minutes and then cooled the engine. Also torqued the head after each trial. The today runs just perfectly. Good luck, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote