View Single Post
Old 07-12-2021, 05:20 AM   #30
dmaxweb

Default Re: Head puller For the model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_Zero View Post
I just made one of these pullers last year. I did not have any junk spark plugs so I purchased these engine eye bolts from Brattons. Remove the eye bolt and put a hex head bolt in its place.

A video I found helpful was this one: Ford Model A Cylinder Head Puller Tool. He puts spacers between the head and the puller to keep them parallel and to avoid it getting cockeyed and binding. It also makes it easier to place the puller on the head.

I too tapped the holes in the plate which makes it much easier than trying to hold the nut under the plate.
I came up with 2 old rusty C-4 plugs. After soaking a few days with Kroil, I was able to remove the threaded insulator retaining bushings with an impact wrench. I still had to use a hammer to remove the insulators. They will still need to be de-rusted and tapped for a bolt. Up until now I did not realize the engine puller from the vendors could be disassembled. Anybody know where I can get just the half that threads into the head?

That video has been very helpful in gathering the parts that I will need. What did you use for the spacers?
dmaxweb is offline   Reply With Quote