View Single Post
Old 12-04-2018, 09:58 PM   #19
Model51

Default Re: 1936 truck references

Jim - There's one manufacturer of original style cardboard door inserts and one of ABS styrene. I have not purchased or even seen either set, so I'm not sure what's best. You can also make door inserts yourself if you are so inclined as they are fairly simple.
The gas tank under the seat is correct for a Model 51. The pickup gas tank is located in the rear of the lighter passenger car-type frame just as the car gas tank is located since neither vehicle uses the heavy-duty truck frame your truck has.
The gas tank filler is located on the front right corner of the tank inside the cab.
The engine is essentially the same as the car so engine parts are very available. Big truck rubber parts are a bit hard to come by as they aren't reproduced and the old parts are usually cracked. The windshield rubber and side window channels are all available. Good places to look are MACs Antique Auto Parts, Dennis Carpenter and Bob Drake plus lots of others.
Big truck chassis parts are either easy to find or impossible with not much middle ground. When looking for parts, remember the Ford part number system of Model-Part Number-Version. Many parts for your truck will start with 51-xxxx. If you see a part starting with 51- then it's right. Other model designation parts work too, but you have to be sure first.
I'm happy to share my parts hunting experiences with you if you want any leads.
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote