View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 05:18 PM   #69
Eagle43

Default Re: Overdrive Transmission in a 1952 F1

I finally have the side shift column adapted and installed and I thought I'd show some pictures. I mounted the shift box as close to the engine as possible and I think it will clear the cab when I put it back into position. This is my first experience with a side shift other than driving them in my younger days but it turned out to be quite simple to get it to work. With the box mounted and open so I could see inside and both arms in the neutral position and exactly lined up and both transmission levers in the neutral position it was just a matter of bending and cutting the rods to fit between them. The top of the shifter gave me a lot of difficulty since it was rusted solid but I got it to work eventually. It seems to shift as it's supposed to but I guess I won't know for sure until I actually drive it. I patched all the cracks in steering wheel with Gorilla epoxy putty after cleaning them out with a Dremel. I still haven't found a clutch pedal so I made a temporary one which seems to work well enough so I can drive it out of the garage so I will have room to work on the sheet metal, cutting out rust and welding in new metal, which will be the next job. It's keeping me busy and from getting bored with not much else to do and no places to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210124_140137_1a.jpg (60.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210124_140032_2a.jpg (135.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210124_140043_1a.jpg (143.2 KB, 27 views)
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote