Thread: Jump Starting?
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2018, 09:42 AM   #55
DHZIEMAN

Default Re: Jump Starting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Hi Everyone!

I think I've almost had enough fun fiddling with the chassis grounds, coil, distributor, generator, wiring harnesses, lights, horn, starter, fuel sender, fuel gauge, and ammeter in our car.

I was wondering:

What are the dangers and techniques for Jump Starting an old Ford original 6v positive ground, generator equipped system with a 12v negative ground alternator equipped modern vehicle?

Is there any device that can be used to make this trick safer for the vehicles?

Do you need heavier gauge wire in the jumper cables?

Is there such thing as a 6v jump box? Reading some message boards seems to indicate they may not be. Would carrying a 6v motorcycle battery be a substitute for a similar 12v jump box?

In auto-shop, we teach to hook the fourth connection from the good negative, to chassis ground on the dead car. This hardly ever works because of poor grounding. And grounding in the 6v system is even more important, isn't it?

-VeryTangled/Jeff
As a kid growing up in Chicago, dads model A just would not crank over to start with just 6 volts, this was in the mid 40's! He was a mechanic, he rigged up two 6 volt batteries on a cart, and then added the car battery and actually started his old model a on 12 volts. He had rigged this to allow the coil to be on 6 volts and only the starter motor connected to 12 volts! He never burnt out a bulb, and never did this unless the original starter just could not get the car started. He also shared with me the fact that using that high a voltage was a bit mechanically not a good thing as the starter motor gear really shot hard into the ring gear and could cause damage (he thought) He also pointed out to me that the ring gear on any car wears more in the compression spots on the gear. So a 4 cylinder has 4 major wear spots, a 6 cylinder, 6 spots and so on!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote