View Single Post
Old 07-18-2020, 07:44 PM   #11
HopRod

Default Re: Let's build a drag race 8BA engine

Wow, great feedback so far. I should have added in my original post that it will need to be naturally aspirated and is going in a Gasser. I am building this to race with the Southeast gasser association in the H/Gas class. I had bought a roller car, a 58 Morris Minor that was set up for a SBF, so I am converting it to flathead powered.
I do have a 4-71 ready to go, but that is against the rules. This new engine will need to run on race gas and I will have a cooling system for the car. It will be backed by a Muncie 4 speed trans and I have a set of 514 gears for it which should get me in the ballpark. I have heard people have had good and bad results with SCAT or Eagle cranks for reasons of balancing issues or just failures. I love to hear from the experienced crowd who have actually done it, not just catalog parts assemblers.
In my dragster, I ran 3 stromberg 97s that I converted over to use with methanol and even ran 20% nitro one time in it. I never to got to realize its full potential since I was learning as I went and didn't quite have my combination sorted out.
Hoping to be better at setting up the full package from the start this time. I think I would like to stay away from Aluminum rods at this point, so would you suggest race prepping the factory rods or go with a set of H beams?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20200301_162557.jpg (107.6 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20200321_170055.jpg (74.5 KB, 137 views)
HopRod is offline   Reply With Quote