Thread: master cylinder
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2020, 10:03 PM   #13
Aarongriffey

Default Re: master cylinder

I’ve used DOT5 in my 1951 F1 since 1999.
When I changed it over to a 1972 F100 rear end I bled the rear brakes. I reused the rear wheel cylinders that were new when I put in the dot 5. Otherwise I have bone nothing to the brakes, except check the fluid once or twice.
I love Dot 5, but in customer’s cars I use DOT 4. Takes less explaining and ok if they add DOT 3.
DOT 5 will not harm paint.
Some folks say you’ll never get a good pedal, no matter how much time you spend bleeding it. I have never found that.
I worked nine years for a guy with over 400 collector cars.
Some had been converted to hydraulic. The owner hated hydraulics because of the corrosion and leak possibilities. He’d have me change brake lines and wheel n master cylinders and always use Dot 5 in hopes of never getting corrosion problems.
If I did everything, tubes, hoses and five cylinders, say on a 32 roadster, I could do the whole job with one pint of dot five.
I don’t remember what othe pre ‘39 cars we had that were hydraulic.
When I first started there he wanted to take an MGTF to an MG show a couple of miles away.
He said since it had all new brakes it had never been driven. OK. Well we couldn’t move the car. All five cylinders were corroded. Seized up. I suggested we use Dot 5. We did.
And used it in every car after that.
It’s great to use in clutch and brake systems of vehicles there not riven much.
My pickup has set outside or in an open ended carport since NewYears Eve of 1999 and the front brakes have never been touched, except for adjustment.
I think I’ll flush them since we are just staying home now. Maybe all my cars.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote