View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 05:03 PM   #34
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: Biggest scare in a Model A

Interesting thread

I'm more scared now to even leave town! Been getting gun shy about driving the Model A on the local 55 MPH highways. There are way too many people anymore, too distracted. Even driving a modern car isn't getting to be much fun anymore. The fun factor is decreasing especially for antique cars.

My most recent experience. Last fall I was driving the Roadster here IN TOWN (we live in a small farming community) I was on a stretch of road posted at 30 MPH with double yellow lines on a curve and a slight hill. I slowed down to turn left and had been signalling a turn for 200 feet and at the last moment I caught a glimpse of some idiot passing me on the left, going like a bat out of hell. I swerved back to the right and he narrowly missed me by inches. He was bookin' man that guy was flying. I'd guess easily 65-70. All I saw was a set of Iowa license plates disappearing down the road and his middle finger waving at me out of his driver's side window. My fault ?? Dip-wad. That would have been the end of the Roadster and probably me too.

Forget driving at nite or in the rain I haven't done that since 1972.And it wasn't a good thing back then.

Another close call just yesterday, again here in town. 40 MPH limit double yellow lines heading out of town in another direction. 2 lane highway. Large hill looming ahead. In my F-150, I was stopped to turn left against oncoming traffic. Another newer Ford pickup was behind me and two cars behind him, all stopped. I hear this commotion just in time to see some 18 year old something girl flying I mean FLYING around us on the shoulder heading in the same direction we were, rocks and stuff going every which way, she smashed into the curb just ahead of me and turned the stupid car sideways in the road. The oncoming traffic was swerving to get out of her way. When she got stopped her eyes were as big as Morgan silver dollars staring out of her window and (hang on are you ready, you will be shocked) her cell phone grasped tightly in her right hand in front of her face. Evidently she was bookin' down the road texting and came up on us and was trying to keep from rear ending the line of cars.

It's only a matter of time one of us on here is going to get it.

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 10-15-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote