View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 09:10 AM   #21
History

Default Re: What have you found working on your A?

That's why it's so interesting to me, because some stories get told. I collect all things ww2, don't have much as I'm not a super serious collector. I have a round cardboard tube that held mortar rounds that was used as a send home box for some gi. It has the capture papers that list the items, one item is a spoon knife set. The set is in the tube and it's insignificant but still interesting. The quarter you find under the seat may have been lost by some kid who agonized over it as they were going to buy whatever and now couldn't.

My dad owned what was from 1936 - 1968--69??? a building that was a belks department store. He obtained it years after that fact in the late 90's. I've seen photos of it as Belks and remember being it as Belks when I was very young. I inherited the building and was working inside above what used to be the window box. I found some really old wrapping paper and Christmas decorations that was Belks branded and when I was about to crawl out I saw a little red wooden ball. I picked it up and it was attached to a string that went inside a bundle of paper. The paper was the original wrapping paper from the factory, still taped and numbered. I could tell it was a wooden toy but no idea what. Turns out it's a firetruck with a price tag of 92 cents. I figured early seventies pricing. This particular toy was made from 1938 to 1942. It has more than likely been in that spot my entire life and was probably there when my dad was a kid. I haven't taken the paper off but I know what it looks like. Not going to sale it and will more than likely let whoever owns the building next have it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3030.jpg (23.4 KB, 94 views)
History is offline   Reply With Quote