View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 02:59 PM   #465
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

The Magpie.

A very popular bird because of its worbling especially at day break frequently in chorus and because of their cheeky and friendly disposition. They have tenacity. I’ve seen them pulling grasshoppers out of the grills of motor cars parked in the street and walking around pedestrian’s feet. They eat beetles, lizards, insect pests plus small frogs. They become parasitic when bird lovers feed them and that includes gary.
In Melbourne a footy team is named the Collingwood Magpies. They hardly ever seem to have a win and are frequently called Collywobbles. Their fans are just that. Fanatical. My late friend Gavin even had the Collingwood magpie emblem attached to his coffin.
Back to the birds. They attack those they see as invaders during their nesting season of about 6 weeks in spring. My kids used to ride to school with ice cream containers on their heads. With bicycle helmets today I see some with plastic ties attached with the tail of the tie up in the air just like little antennas. Some put eyes on the rear of their peaked caps or place sunglasses facing rearwards. Listen to them worble on the link below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0mT3ZmeJs4

They are not popular in New Zealand. There must have been a campaign saying they destroy native birds. This fact is not correct but the Indian Mynah bird does and N.Z. has a large population of that bird. The Magpie is territorial and can dominate but they are way down in the pecking order.

I am curious to see if Mr Synchro responds to the football club comments.
Relief coming. This is the last of the animal - bird stories. Unless readers request more. gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magpie footy.JPG (40.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg magpie 3.JPG (25.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg magpie 2.JPG (14.0 KB, 2 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote