View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 03:06 PM   #447
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Australian snakes.

In blue is direct from the internet.
How many snakes are in Australia?

Snakes. Australia has around 140 species of land snake, and 32 recorded species of sea snakes. Some 100 Australian snakes are venomous, although only 12 are likely to inflict a wound that could kill you. Between 1979 and 1998 there were 53 deaths from snakes according to data obtained from the Australian Bureau of Statistics. and more than half of the deaths occur from bites from brown and tiger snakes.
Both are the most common species in our region of southern NSW. We also have a red bellied black snake and whilst venomous is welcome in our yard. It is territorial and will keep the browns and tigers out. A shy fellow and one we may go 2 or 3 years without sighting. Again direct from the internet, below.
Red-bellied Black Snakes are one of the most frequently encountered snakes on the east coast of Australia, and are responsible for a number of bites every year. They are a shy snake and will generally only deliver a serious bite under severe molestation.

You probably know snakes are reptiles and as a reminder a reptile is not warm blooded. They acquire their warmth by sunning themselves, preferably on a warm surface. Body heat from one snoozing peacefully in bed is a great score of warmth for them. They haven’t yet learned a warm bitumen road is not ideal and as they are not popular with motorists or anyone for that matter so this is where many meet their demise.There is one snake that is popular with people who can identify them and that is the python. It’s non poisonous and consumes it’s prey whole by having it’s jaws spread and pulling itself over it’s dinner. They grow very big but as enormous as the South American Anaconda.
Generally they are unwelcome guests and more popular when they are in someone else’s yard or in the bush. It’s a popular saying “ a good snake is a dead snake”. Whilst they haven’t hurt me I still give them a wide berth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red belly black black snake.JPG (33.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg brown snake.JPG (36.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg python snake.JPG (33.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg tiger snake..JPG (27.4 KB, 4 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote