View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 02:33 AM   #162
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Difficult Harry.
I was enroute to Darwin and then onwards to Malaysia. The first sector is 11 hours and I decided to stop at Alice Springs and have lunch and a break at the airport terminal. I spoke to Darwin tower out of courtesy because I didn’t have a transponder. I got some bloke by the name of Harry. He was most difficult. I may get to Darwin and declined entry he said. I didn’t think that would happen so after lunch I spooled up for Darwin and took off. I didn’t have full power.Something was wrong. The engine has just had a hot section inspection. Why would something be wrong unless it was assembled incorrectly? I turned around and returned to Adelaide. Yes investigation revealed a seal had been crushed in reassembly.
I departed again4 days later, and again had lunch at Alice then called Darwin tower. What achange. Bloke most helpful and even apologetic about the attitude of Harry. The flight through Darwin and onwards was just how I like it. Uneventful.
To proceed with this story I must explain a service provided by Air Traffic Control (ATC).Weather conditions including air pressure, wind, cloud, temperature and any rain for the respective airport have been recorded and transmitted continuously to all inbound aeroplanes. This is called ATIS meaning automatic terminal information service.
When I returned home about 2 months later I wrote to the Officer in Charge of the Darwin base.
I suggested to him he promote Harry to PAR. Now that means, in my mind anyway, permanent ATIS reader. Never did get a reply to my letter.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)