View Single Post
Old 08-31-2014, 07:45 PM   #16
James Rogers

Default Re: Double Nut Lifters Secrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
I always find this discussion interesting, because it is clear that many people are speaking different languages.

There are at least three different styles of adjustable lifters for Model A's, and people mix and match terminology when referring to them, to the point that it is often not clear what they are actually referring to.

• Tappet, hex bolt, and no nut. The bolt has a interference/self-locking condition to the tappet body.
  • Tappet, hex bolt, and single tapered hex lock nut. This style has a split lock nut, tapered like a wheel nut. The tappet body has a countersunk locking face.
  • Tappet, hex bolt, and regular hex lock nut. This style essentially uses the nut as a jam nut against the tappet body.

My preference is the first style listed. As far as I know, this style is also the only type readily available in the larger 1.117 inch base diameter.

I have used the second style in the past, and found that they did not hold the locking condition and loosened easily. These also have 1.000 inch diameter bases, and are not suitable for use due to being smaller than originals, and smaller than recommended by Bill Stipe.

I have found the third style to be of low quality regarding the locking nut quality and parallelism of the locking faces. These also have 1.000 inch diameter bases, and are not suitable for use due to being smaller than originals, and smaller than recommended by Bill Stipe.

Your mileage may vary.
With all due respect,these are personal preferences and your experiences with as many motors that you have been exposed to personally. I, however, have built and repaired probably 2 or 3 hundred Model A and B motors so my experiences are much different. I do agree that the single locks are preferable when using a Stipe cam but, not everyone shells out 400$ for a cam. I have used double lock lifters with all the commercially available and they work fine and do not wear the lobes unusually. The grinder will state the lifter size or if you look at a stock lifter the wear pattern is less than 1.000" on stock lifters and stock cams.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote