View Single Post
Old 05-21-2022, 10:42 PM   #8
drolston

Default Re: Troubles installing 6v pos ground turn signals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan39Deluxe View Post
I double checked everything and as far as I can tell it's wired according to the diagram. When you say I need to run a separate wire for the brake light that's disconnected, I'm a little confused. From the diagram there's 2 lines from the turn signal unit that run straight to the rear blinkers. I spliced those into my brake light lines. Do I need to do something different there if I'm trying to merge brake light/turn signals?
The original wiring has one wire that goes back from the headlight switch to the taillight pin on rear light bulb. It also has one wire that goes from the brake pressure switch to the brake lite pin in the left rear bulb. There is another wire that is connected to that one that runs across the rear of the frame to the brake lite pin on the right rear light. If you are going to use brake lights as turn signal lights, as most do, that wire will have to be disconnected from the left rear brake light power and connected with another wire all the way up under the dash to connect to the right brake light wire on your turn signal unit.

On the diagram above, the new wire to the right rear tail lamp connects to Number 1. You can use run a wire from #3 down to the brake light switch and connect to the original wire that went from there back to the brake lights. The power wire to the brake light switch stays the same, but the output of the brake light switch is yet another wire back up the tur signal unit. That would be connection point #5.

For the connection at the rear, just be sure you correctly differentiate the rear tail light power from the brake light power. They run together across the rear of the frame.

Last edited by drolston; 05-21-2022 at 10:50 PM.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote