View Single Post
Old 12-21-2019, 02:52 PM   #8
Karl

Default Re: No Go -Coil Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayChicago View Post
Koates is right-on. Your 2.9 volt input to coil is good. We will never see more than 3.0 volts at the coil with engine stopped. (with engine running, points opening and closing, averaged voltage reading there will then jump up to 3.5 or more) Nothing wrong with your ignition resistor, switch, or the rest of the circuit providing input to the coil. Problem is elsewhere.

Koates is also correct in that the ignition resistors are rarely known to fail. Coils are known to be fragile, condensers fail including brand new ones, ignition switch get dirty and create a voltage drop, but the resistors are very robust, most original resistors still function just as designed.
You are right

I re-looked at things last night prior to replacing the resistor and sure enough ignition is fine ie when it was darker there was definitely spark visable at the plug. I also realized with my head under the hood that with all my wifes cranking there was no smell of gas. Sure enough no gas flow from the pump to the carb . I found a small crack in the (brand new ) plastic fuel filter I recently placed in the fuel line before the pump and this was sucking air. Replaced the fuel line and the car started right up

I always say that 90% of fuel problems are electrical but this was a fuel issue !
Thanks everyone - As per usual I learnt a lot from you all today

Karl