Thread: Radiator Baffle
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2020, 10:38 PM   #4
saxman657

Default Re: Radiator Baffle

Yes. Last year was my first year with the car so don't know a lot of history. I drained and flushed the system last year after it overheated during one of its first runs until water ran out clean, then aded distilled water and WaterWetter. Ran all year without a problem (weather is mild here in SoCal). Last week I drained and water was pretty rusty, so I flushed chemically with Blue Devil, then flushed with water until clear. Instead of distilled water I used 50/50 Peak antifreeze (standard). Drove the car about 10 miles up to 50mph on highway during cool morning for a breakfast meeting. Drove home in warmer 80 degree weather at highway speeds and MotoMeter showed a temp increase and had some coolant spew on the windshield. Slowed car to 45mph and temp dropped pretty quickly on flat road. Increase back up to 50mph, and temp increased again.

Might be coincidental, but didn't have the problem until after I flushed the system and switched to antifreeze (with WaterWetter added). I'm sure it wasn't the coolant, but something perhaps dislodged during the flush. It was during all of this and reading Les Andrews that I noticed the radiator baffle and that I didn't have one.

My plan for the cooling system is to flush with Simple Green, then rinse and flush with water. Then flush with Thermocare, running it for a day or two. Then flush well with water until running clean. Also plan to do a back flush and have ordered a Gano Filter, then add antifreeze one more time. If this doesn't work, time to pull the radiator for another flush and thorough cleaning with ThoroFlush (basically TSP) and maybe ThoroFlush to clean the insides of the motor.
saxman657 is offline   Reply With Quote