View Single Post
Old 11-16-2020, 04:41 PM   #39
P.S.

Default Re: AAA for breakdowns in antique?

Only had to use AAA one time- On the all-original unrestored fordor. The original babbit splattered on the way home from my dad's house, and had to get it towed home.

I requested a flatbed on the phone. They asked what make/year, etc. I told them 1929 Ford Model A. The phone lady said that they don't tow modified or lowered vehicles. I told her this is the most UNmodified car they will ever experience. Had to explain, she just assumed it was a hotrod.

2.3 hours later, large flatbed truck shows up. Driver is not in good mood from the start. He first hooked onto the front axle right in the middle, placing the J-hook around the tie rod also. I told him he was doing it wrong, and he got upset with me. Some words were exchanged when I informed him I have an engineering degree, and showed him what he had done. Driver said "Fine, hook it up however you want". So, I got on my back and hooked some of the greasiest chains you ever saw around the ends of my front axle at the spring perches.

Driver did the rest of the loading, under my watchful eye. Once we started driving, I asked him to please keep the speed under 55 MPH so the visor over the windshield doesn't blow off (what I was really worried about was the original top material possibly flapping in the high wind). The speed limit was 45 and one small part of 55 on the way to my house. He got upset that I would even mention it. He did start to creep past 55 close to 60 MPH once, and I brought it to his attention. He looked at me like he was going to throw me out of his truck.

Once we got to my house, the driver said he wasn't going to back up to the shop, he would ONLY drop the car on the street in front of my house. I said "OK fine. That's where I want it". Unloading was uneventful.

I tipped him $10 (even though he REALLY didn't deserve it) and thanked him.

That's my one and only experience. AAA road service member since 1987.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote