Thread: Driving lights
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 12:13 PM   #1
Jim Yergin

Default Driving lights

I am working on a 1956 Thunderbird. It has the optional driving lights installed on the front bumper but it did not have an original driving light switch. I managed to find an original switch but I am not sure as to how the lights are set up. In reviewing the wiring instructions for installing the driving lights and checking the operation of the switch for the driving lights, it appears that when the switch knob is pulled out, just the driving lights are turned on. When the knob is pushed in the driving lights are off unless the parking lights or the headlights are turned on then the driving lights also go on (because of the way the tail lights are wired into the switch). There are three terminals on the switch: power; driving lights; and tail lights. In the on position the power terminal is connected to the driving light terminal but not to the parking light terminal so I can see that the driving lights would be on. When the switch is in the off position the power terminal is not connected to the other two terminals but the tail light terminal is connected to the driving light terminal. That is why I assume that if the tail lights are on (headlights on) then the same power would be sent to the driving lights and they would be on. Does anyone have a 1950's Ford with driving lights who can tell me if the foregoing is correct?
Jim Yergin
Jim Yergin is offline   Reply With Quote