View Single Post
Old 09-07-2020, 06:54 PM   #14
1crosscut

Default Re: Fumbled a piston

Thanks for all of the advice.
I have two of the industrial / binder engine power units. Between the two I should have enough parts and pieces to make one complete unit to use as a running display. I have yet to open up the second engine to see what condition it is in but I think it is probably the better one of the two. If both end up being run able I would put the "weakest" engine into the display unit.

This engine does't have any more shims left on the rods for adjustment but the babbit is good on all four and the clearance on all four is spot on at .0015
Rear main babbit looks good, has .0015 clearance and still has a few shims.
Crank shaft end play is .007

I haven't opened up the front and center mains yet. Fingers crossed.

Original style non adjustable valves and the clearances on those are all over the place so that will have to be put right.

Since this would be an engine that is not really going to be put under a load running the piston as is might be an option. I always weigh and balance pistons so I'd have to check to make sure the weight could be made right.

If I do end up going with new pistons I'm sure I'd be looking really hard at the possibility of having it bored to the next size over.