View Single Post
Old 10-30-2018, 09:18 AM   #40
tubman

Default Re: Oil filters on flatheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb person View Post
Legend has it modern oils do not break down with heat nearly as fast as old oil does.
The important part is to keep your oil clean, you could reduce the changes to 20-50,000 miles and only replace the filter, if you could filter it finely enough! (Change the filter on a modern car every 1,000 KMs and see how long the oil lasts.) A bypass filter would be a great asset to modern engines.

I'll let you guy figure out how to do that.
One way to do it is with a Frantz or similar type add-on filter. My dad sold them in the fifties and sixties and always added one to each new Oldsmobile he bought. Each one came with two tags. The first was like a regular old style "oil change tag" you used to stick on the door jamb. The second was the same format, but made of blotting paper and was divided up into several segments. You were to touch your dipstick into the corresponding spot every 200 miles after installing the Frantz filter. The oil would be absorbed by the blotting paper, and would show how "dirty" it was. It was amazing to watch the spots get lighter and lighter with each 200 miles that passed. It made me a believer.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote