View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #13
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Battery Polarity HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoza View Post
Thanks for the input once more! here there are some results: with positive to ground,

The cranking of the motor felt different and the car started sooner (go figure), the cranking seems smooth and less noisy!!!

I did not ground the generator, however it was entirely disconnected and I hope it did not get damaged, because there is not excitation current going to it ..
I do have the can type regulator and will try to re-polarize for a quick test

(of course if the generator have magnets inside then I'll say it is fried)...
You are going to keep on until you ruin something, if you haven't allready. It is your car and I am not trying to be a smartazz. When the generator is turning above idle it will be putting out volts and amps. if the wire is disconnected and the generator is not grounded there is nowhere for the volts and amps to go and the generator will quickly self destruct. When you try to polarize the generator by jumping a wire across the can regulator you are going to ruin the regulator and I have twice warned. If you insist on changing back to positive ground you are going to have to buy a new positive ground regulator. The negative ground unit will not work on positive ground and will be destroyed by jumping across the posts. If it was giving no problems running negative ground it is just going to cost work and money to change it back. The starter knows NO difference in polarity and if it sounded different it was probably caused by poor cable connections, one way or the other. This is a classic example of if it ain't broke fix it untill is is.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote