Thread: pcv valve
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2021, 10:43 AM   #10
blucar

Default Re: pcv valve

I have found that the engines I have converted to a PCV system from an open crankcase has required leening the carb out a bit. The vapor pulled into the intake does many things: Tends to act as a upper cylinder lube, makes the air/fuel mixture richer, lowers crankcase pressure and thereby minimizes oil leaks, that is a win, win for everything.
I don't care for the PCV being installed in the rear oil fill pipe on an EFV8, a vented cap has to be used for air to be drawn into the system, putting a PCV that close to the air intake will result in the fresh air being drawn into the PCV in lieu of through the block and into the intake. A better location is to drill a hole into the intake manifold air pellum below the throttle plate, use a screw in threaded PCV for a small block that is less than 300 CID. As to where the hose from the PCV is connect to complete the circuit becomes a challenge. An 8BA type engine is simple because of the front crankcase breather pipe which can be replaced with a fitting for the hose.
Several years ago the EFV8 Club published an article about installing a PCV on the bottom side of the intake manifold which is in the valley chamber and requires removing the intake manifold to service the PCV.. Really dumb.
I read an article several years ago that stated that the PCV system eliminated 95% of the pollutants from an engine, everything that has been added an engine since then is to get rid of the remaining 5%.