View Single Post
Old 09-03-2020, 11:37 PM   #160
Terry Burtz, Calif

Default Re: The Terry Burtz 5 main bearing engine blocks are back on track.

Terry you should do a good photo shoot when the first engine is completed with you bending over the engine stamping number 1 on it just like Henry......
Your definitely going to leave your mark on this hobby.
Thanks for your perseverance in this endeavor. We new we would see the day. Dodge

I have discussed this with John, and we will likely do it. Henry's stamping of #1 was a photo op because the early engines had the serial number boss located just above the water inlet, not at the top of the cylinder block.

I have a question about the oil return. Is it intentional that the oil return hole is so small?
Bill G

Originally Posted by Bill G
I have a question about the oil return. Is it intentional that the oil return hole is so small?

Bill, The engine bearing surfaces including the mains, cam and rods are fed oil from an oil passage located between the tappet bosses and the cylinder walls. The crankshaft is drilled to feed the rod bearings. There is likely little if any oil passing through the oil return pipe. The size of the hole shown should be more than adequate to flow any oil passing through or accumulating in the pipe.
The "dipper tray" turns into a "windage tray" as the new rods do not have dippers. Dave

Dave, Thanks for answering Bill's question. The only things that I can add to your answer is that the oil return pipe is only there for decoration and the small hole at the bottom is for drainage of any trapped oil. The floor of the valve chamber also has vent holes to the crankcase to allow the oil mist to lubricate the valve guides and tappets.

Terry, in a stock application, what kind of flywheel weight would you recommend since the crank is adding a lot of weight to the rotating assembly. Russ

We are making 30 pound flywheels that will accept the V-8 or tractor pressure plates. The flywheel will be sold separately since many enthusiasts already have a flywheel that they want to use. An engineering sample flywheel is at the 3rd party evaluator and will be used in validation.

Where is your 3rd party work being done? Carl

Where is your 3rd party work being done?
I am sure he is not disclosing that so the third party will be left alone to do their work. Chris

The 3rd party agreed to help validate the new engine, but was unsure of what he would receive and didn't want his name associated with something that could of been sub-standard.
This is why he wanted a few days to evaluate the parts before we arrived.
The machinist at the 3rd party is very enthused by what he saw and has already installed the valve guides and lapped the valve seats.
In a phone conversation today, the machinist said that everything fit as it should and there were no issues.

Due to covid19, John, Bill, Leonard, and myself have not seen the new engine parts other than photographs.
We have a detailed validation plan that includes appearance, tolerances, and performance.
Terry Burtz, Calif is offline   Reply With Quote