View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 12:51 AM   #10
1930-Pickup

Default Re: Side mount spares - Left, Right, or Both?

It is a common held belief that the 1930-1931 pickups were supplied with a left mounted spare tire only. This is not the case. However, left side mounted spare tires are much more common.

I have never seen a dual side spare tire set up on a pickup, except in one case where the truck was very clearly modified to reflect the owners own tastes.

My closed-cab pickup has a right side mounted spare tire.

It was built in Long Beach California in September 1930. The cab has an August 1930 date stamped onto the cross member ahead of the seat. It has one-piece side splash aprons, which were introduced in September '30.

This truck is unrestored and it has never been apart. If you look at the frame, you can see that there are no holes on the left side for a spare tire mount. You can also see that the mounting bracket on the right side is riveted to the frame (the factory method).

Because Long Beach was (at that time) a brand new assembly plant (opened April 1930 I think) with extended fabricating and assembly capabilities, and because the poor economy was kicking in hard, Ford Sold vehicles per customers' requests...such as a right side spare tire. It's possible, but I cant confirm, that my pickup was built per special request.

I have seen at least two other late 1930 pickups with the same right spare tire set up, but they were not built at the Long Beach plant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1930 Ford PU.jpg (71.5 KB, 25 views)
1930-Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote