View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 06:11 PM   #143
Terry Burtz, Calif

Default Re: The Terry Burtz 5 main bearing engine blocks are back on track.

Hi guys, I am new on this group, but I have been following Terry's work for many years. I actually visited him in California long ago when he was starting this project. I'm very glad to see that it is nearing completion, the design looks really good, as you would expect from someone with his skills.

I have been reading the thread, and I see comments about how we can't cast engine blocks in the USA, we've lost the skills, labor costs are going up in China (according to the Apple CEO) etc. I beg to disagree. I am getting the following engine blocks made here in the USA, in Michigan: Bugatti Type 57, Miller 122, 1907 Pierce Arrow, 1909 Christie. We've actually sold & shipped Bugatti blocks to Europe. It's expensive to work in the USA, for a lot of reasons we don't need to get into here on a car forum. But the skills and foundry's are here. I'm certainly not alone, guys like Tod B. make me feel like an amateur.

Anyway, I apologize, this is not my thread, so I'll leave it there. I do look forward to watching the completion of Terry's work.

Lee, It's good to hear from you. Thanks for joining FordBarn and reading the thread. The New Model A engine project has been an adventure.

We have accomplished more in the last year in China than I did in the many years working with Lodi Iron Works. I too, have been following your Christie project and am amazed on how you are creating SolidWorks models from the patent drawings and photographs.

Are you using the foundry in Michigan that cast the new Model T cylinder blocks for Ford's centennial celebration in 2003? When it was becoming evident that Lodi Iron Works was not able to perform, I spoke with that foundry in Michigan over the phone and they seemed very capable. I also spoke with other foundries in the Midwest, and several sounded like they were capable. The biggest problem was tooling. As a general rule, any foundry will only guarantee good castings if their pattern shop makes the patterns and core boxes.

I contacted Tod B. when I pulled the tooling from Lodi Iron Works, and he was not interested in working with me. Our Email exchange is documented somewhere in the thread.

I have only seen photographs of the parts being made in China, and they look good. Due to covid19, we won't physically be able to see the parts until they arrive at our 3rd party evaluator.

I know that that the new Model A engine (cylinder block, crankshaft, and connecting rods) could be produced in the USA, but it would have to be the Midwest and the cost would be prohibitive for the average Model A enthusiast.

Our engine projects are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. You are working with people that have deep pockets and are making just a few castings that are unobtainable, whereas we are working with people that have shallow pockets, original castings that are available, but not the best design and worn, and many new machined castings and forgings at a time.
Terry Burtz, Calif is online now   Reply With Quote