View Single Post
Old 11-28-2020, 02:22 PM   #1
billybronco1

Default Changed The Weight Of My Oil

So after reading about the controversial subject "what weight of oil to use" I decided to do my own experiment. Seems its a toss up between 10W-30 and 20W-50. Not sure the consensuses on full synthetic.

When I bought my car a few months ago I changed the oil, used the same as the previous owner 10W-30 full synthetic. I really didn't like the sound of the engine, light lifter noise, more noise under a load, oil pressure was about 25 psi cold and about 10 psi hot at idle.

So the other day I changed it to 10W-40 still full synthetic high mileage and a can of STP (another controversial item) results are 30+psi oil pressure when cold and 20 psi when hot. As far as the noise once the car was hot it was much quieter and ticking under a load was almost completely gone.

Part of the problem with this car is the previous owner ran it for years with no thermostats and it never got hot, at least I could not get it above 130 degrees. Now with new thermostats installed she is running between 180-200 degrees so the oil should work better.

I might consider 20W-50 in the spring. What weight/kind of oil do you use?
billybronco1 is offline   Reply With Quote